TO APPLY FOR A PASSPORT
(if this will be your first passport or your last passport was issued over 15 years ago):
- You will need to complete an application (Form DS-11). Applications are available at the Clerks Office or at travel.state.gov/passport. Application should be completed before you arrive for your appointment.
- Provide two (2) passport photos. (Most places where film is processed can print these for you.)
- Present your drivers license or state-issued identification.
- Surrender your original birth certificate and/or naturalization certificate with seal. Seal on certificate must be raised, embossed, impressed, or multicolored. (Certificate will be returned with your passport.)
- Passports require two (2) separate forms of payment:
- Passport execution fee - $25 (may be cash, check, or money order, payable to Brownstown Township; personal checks are accepted)
- Passport fee either $110 for Passport book or $30 for a Passport card (check or money order, payable to U.S. Department of State, with applicants full name and date of birth in the memo portion of the check; personal checks are accepted)
Parents or legal guardians must BOTH appear ALONG WITH THEIR CHILD to execute an application for a child who is under age 14. Please see travel.state.gov/passport for more information.
Expedited services are available at additional costs. Please contact the Clerks Office at (734) 675-0910 for more information.
Please visit travel.state.gov/passport for more information.
IF YOU NEED TO RENEW YOUR PASSPORT
You may be eligible to renew your passport by mail using Form DS-82. Form DS-82 is available at the Clerk's Office or at travel.state.gov/passport. This form may be mailed by the applicant and does not require execution by a passport acceptance facility. The passport fee with security surcharge for a renewal by mail is $110 (check or money order, payable to U.S. Department of State).
There are five (5) criteria for using Form DS-82. Please use the following checklist to see if you are eligible to apply with a DS-82:
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent passport was issued AND
- I was issued my most recent passport in the last 15 years AND
- I use the same name as on my most recent passport; or since my passport was issued, I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change AND
- I can submit my most recent passport AND
- It is undamaged.
If you answered NO to any of the 5 statements above, you cannot use Form DS-82. You must apply on a DS-11 and have it executed by a passport acceptance facility. More information about applying for a passport is available at travel.state.gov/passport.