Waste Collection Service Overview
Brownstown uses Waste Management of Michigan, (866) 797-9018.
To view your trash collection day, visit our map of the collection schedule.
CHANGES TO WASTE SERVICE - Beginning May 16, 2022
See WM FAQ Page for more info!
Trash Collection Guidelines:
One 96-gallon trash cart (green lid) and one 96-gallon recycling cart (yellow lid) are provided for each residence. Place normal residential rubbish curbside in carts. To ensure pick-up, have your carts at the curb by 7:00 a.m. or no earlier than 4 p.m. the night before your collection day. Place lid opening towards the street.
- Cart use is required. Other bags and receptacles for trash or recycling will not be accepted.
- Cart rental is available for residents who need additional capacity for trash. Please call WM Customer Service at 866-797-9018 to set up an account.
- Bulk Item Pickup: Residents are allowed ONE bulk item per week by scheduling a pickup. A separate truck will be sent out on service day to pick up the bulk item. To schedule a bulk pickup, please contact Customer Service 48 hours before your service day at 866-797-9018 or email CustomerServiceRS_GLA@wm.com.
(Excerpt from Ordinance 164 - Rubbish And Garbage Disposal)
All containers for residential, commercial and industrial waste, recyclables or byproducts shall be stored on the premises in a location that is reasonably inconspicuous from streets and places occupied by people. Plastic bags shall be stored in a location not readily accessible by animals and out of the weather. All collection containers and storage areas for such shall be kept clean and disinfected.
Bulk Pickup (Residents are allowed ONE bulk item per week by scheduling a pickup)
Acceptable items: appliances, furniture, mattress and/or box spring ( must be wrapped for pickup - counts as one bulk item), dresser with drawers removed and clothing bagged, toilet, hot water tank, refrigerator (Freon must be removed or pay $55 when you schedule pickup), dishwasher, latex paint (dried with dirt or kitty litter, leave the top off), large cardboard box is considered a bulk item.
To schedule a bulk pickup, please contact Customer Service 48 hours before your service day at 866-797-9018 or email CustomerServiceRS_GLA@wm.com.
Items with Freon
Please call WM (866-797-9018) at least 48-hours in advance of your collection day before placing items containing Freon (refrigerators, freezer, air conditioners) at the curb for collection. A fee of $55.00 per Freon item applies.
- Liquid Waste (gasoline & automobile oil)
- Construction /roofing debris (have your contractor haul away or call Waste Management for a quote on a dumpster; 866-797-9018)
- Loose Needles/Sharps (SEE BELOW)
- Car and truck parts/engines
- Yard waste mixed w/rubbish
- Tree stumps over 50lbs
- Soil and Sod
- Propane tanks
- Hazardous wastes
- Fencing/railroad ties
- Oil-based paint
- Wet paint cans (let paint dry and place at curb with lid off)
Please do not place needles loose in your trash; this creates a safety hazard for our workers. Never place needles in recycling. An economical way to safely dispose of your needles is to place them in a hard plastic container such as a laundry detergent bottle. Once full, secure the lid and place the container in your rubbish cart.
WM does offer a needle disposal program. For more information, visit https://www.thinkgreenfromhome.com/SyringesAndLancets.cfm or https://www.thinkgreenfromhome.com/Products.cfm.
Waste Management’s Holiday Schedule
If a WM holiday is on a weekday, service will be one day behind. Service will NOT be delayed when the holiday falls on a weekend. Please see our monthly calendar for more specific information.
New Year’s Day
4th of July